Sunday, March 7, 2010

FACEBOOK: How to protect yourself (Part 3)

"My feet ain't got nothing to do with my nickname, but when folks get it in their heads that a feller's got big feet, soon the feet start looking big." Satchel Paige

In our first two posts we touched on various safety issues related to using FACEBOOK. At the risk of repeating myself, I will say again that I love FACEBOOK for what it does best, keeping me connected with friends and family, many of whom I had lost contact with some time ago until FACEBOOK became a reality.

On our FACEBOOK home pages, if we click on Account, you will see an option to click on Privacy Settings. Too tough? Just click here, or better yet, right-click on open this on another tab or page. From there you will see various options that you can set to protect yourself from the various potential attacks that can affect you. Here are my privacy settings related to my contact information edited to exclude my email address.
Check out yours . Does it look like mine or does all of the options say "Everyone". If you have read the two previous posts then you probably have realized by now that it shouldn't. "Everyone" means everyone in the world. If you haven't read the previous two posts or if you want to review them, go here and then here.

In next weeks post, the last in the series, There will be an overview and I will show you more on how to change these and other settings. This will be of interest to Doctors, Teachers and anyone else who might want to keep their FACEBOOK page away from search engines etc.....

If you find this whole privacy issue daunting, don't want to give up FACEBOOK and feel you need help, companies like our own GEEKS UNLIMITED can help. (Tooting my own horn!, excuse the blatancy of it all :o) )

In the meantime, check out some of these related videos dealing with privacy settings. If you are having trouble sleeping, you might also want to read up on FACEBOOKS policy on Privacy by going here:

Here is a broad overview related to just some of the privacy settings:


Is it even legal (Looks Amusing but isn't, WARNING SOME MAY VIEW THIS AS X-RATED, I included this for effect):


Even the US president weighs in on the subject:

No comments:

Post a Comment