Sunday, March 7, 2010

FACEBOOK: How to protect yourelf (Part 4)

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. Albert Einstein

This is the last in a series of posts relating to the safe use of FACEBOOK. The feedback has been tremendous. Many thanks to all. This post will be kept as short as possible. Read as I share my personal view of keeping things safe on FACEBOOK.

I hope I have convinced many of you that FACEBOOK is a GREAT! concept but comes with some baggage that many of us need to address if we want to keep ourselves safe from those that want to take advantage of any weaknesses that allows them to steal our identity or worse. Organized crime has been having a field day.

A casual glance at the profiles of my friends indicated many were allowing anyone to see their date of birth, home address, the email used to register with FACEBOOK, telephone number, Instant Messaging details, place of work etc....

In my personal profile, I haven't even entered my home address, telephone number, place of employment plus I hid the email I used to register with FACEBOOK from everyone but me.

After all, my friends and family already know where I live. If they don't, they can always send a private FACEBOOK message which appears nowhere but in my private email account.

FACEBOOK was designed to facilitate relationships with family and friends, old and new. I choose not to extend it beyond that, for all of the reasons i explained in my previous posts.

This is a great overview of just some of what you need to know about keeping safe and your privacy settings. If someone so young has learned to be so smart about this, why can't you?


NEXT WEEK: I can hardly wait!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for posting Hailey Hacks Privacy Settings. Hailey Hacks is a web series designed to show you cool things you can do with your computer. It is produced by Story2.OH, not our fabulous 12 year old star who plays Hailey.

    We don't mean to deceive and definitely want to remind anyone concerned with web safety that just cause the picture looks like a 12 year old girl, it doesn't mean that there's a 12 year old behind the account.

    We think lots of elder geeks would enjoy some of Hailey's other videos, especially Hailey Hacks Google Maps and Hailey Hacks Wishlists. Find them on our website Haileyhacks.blogspot.com and wherever fine video is shared!

    ReplyDelete